When I tried camera bracket v1, the kite was only able to lift the bracket about 10 meters into the air… once. I decided to build a lighter bracket. I made camera bracket v2 out of 1/16 inch thick aluminum. The other bracket was 1/8 inch thick. The v2 bracket is at least 1/3 lighter than its predecessor. I don’t have a scale, so I’m estimating. Once I got bracket v2 out in the field, I had the same problem. IT’S TOO HEAVY! I’ve already put the bracket on a diet, time to bulk up the kite. I’ve had this old French Military Kite for years. The cat chewed through the bridle a while ago. After restringing the bridle, I took it out to the field.
Ta da! Left is the neighborhood next to the local high school. Right is the roof of the high school. I took about 100 pictures. most of them were blurry. I have to change the camera settings to get a faster shutter speed. My French Military Kite also has a tendency to veer to the left since a crash some years ago. The camera was swinging quite a bit at times. The kite’s cross spar broke towards the end of the flight. That’s ok, it was 20 years old, it doesn’t owe me a thing. For now, I have a working aerial photographic rig. It’s cobbled together and needs maintenance after every flight, but it works. 🙂